Parcel Select Lightweight is an excellent alternative to Priority Mail as it allows customers to ship lightweight packages from 3.5 to 16 ounces at a per ounce rate, nearly half the price of USPS, UPS, and FedEx grounds services.
Parcel Select Lightweight – simplified
- Parcel Select Lightweight offers per ounce rates, far cheaper than other parcel rates offered in pound increments.
- Parcel Select is designed for companies shipping over 50,000 packages per year.
- Packages must weigh 3.5 to 16 ounces.
- Packages must be presorted to Destination Delivery Unit (DDU), Sectional Center Facility (SCF) or Network Distribution Center (NDC).
- Price is determined by distance and weight of the mailpiece – size does not matter.
- Delivered in 2-9 days.
- Rates can be found here. Further product info can be found here.
Why you need it
eCommerce shippers typically ship packages with USPS Priority Mail, UPS Ground or FedEx Ground. For shipments under 16 ounces, these services are likely unnecessary.
USPS, UPS and FedEx rates for 1 pound start at $5 – $7 and go up depending on how far your package travels. Depending on how deeply a shipper is able to sort their shipments, Parcel Select Lightweight yields rates range from $1.38 to $3.20 – that’s less than half.
If you are shipping over 50k packages per year, and your customers will accept delivery in 2 – 9 days, you need to get on board with Parcel Select Lightweight.